Have you already register for HaBaWaBa PLUS U13 2019? Hurry up: starting today, registration is open for the 4th edition of the event, scheduled on June, 2019, from 23rd to 30th at Bella Italia & EFA Village in Lignano Sabbiadoro (Italy). As in 2018, the 4th edition of the HaBaWaBa PLUS U13 will have a girls tournament beside the boys’ one: both of them are reserved to players born in 2006 and later. Registrations for HaBaWaBa PLUS U13 will close on January 31st, 2019.
As for HaBaWaBa International Festival (the event dedicated to U9 and U11 players), Waterpolo Development has made some changes to HaBaWaBa rules in order to protect the HaBaWaBa spirit and to help the skills development of the little players. Below you can find the link to the new regulation, here we have sumarized the main changes:
- The distinction between ordinary fouls and major fouls is erased: all illegal contacts in the water are punished by the assignment of a “foul of illegal contact“, sanctioned with temporary exclusion or with a 5 meter penalty, if the offense is committed inside the 5 meters area with the clear objective of avoiding a goal (read rule 5.1 and 5.2). Illegal contacts against an opponent who has the possession of the ball are also considered fouls. After 4 fouls of illegal contact the player can’t be back in the field (rule 5.4).
- The player who defends at arm’s length (i.e. close enough to touch) on an opponent in a static position, with or without possession of the ball, must make both hands visible to the referee above the surface of the water, but without extending them vertically. The non-visibility of the hands is considered “foul of illegal contact” (rule 5.1.2).
- Following an exclusion due illegal contact foul a free throw shall be taken from the location of the ball, except if the “illegal contact foul” is committed by a defending player within the defender’s 2 meter area, the free throw shall be taken on the 2-meter line opposite to where the foul was committed. The player who suffers a foul of illegal contact can not shoot directly on goal. If the foul occurs outside the 5-meter area, the attacker can play the free throw, pass or move in any direction and then shoot (rules 7.7 e 7.8).
- During the game, when the teams play with equal number of players and the attacking team crosses the midcourt of the field with all its field players, a zone defense is not allowed. This change was introduced in order to avoid a distortion of the rule that forbids the zone defense: in last editions, some coaches usually kept some of their players in their own half-court (and with them the respective defenders) in order to play in attack with less pairs.
- The goalkeeper may move further than the half of the field at any time and participate in the attack actions of his team (rule 3.4.2).